Wednesday, July 23, 2008

my tribe


mmm hands are soooooooo tasty.

Today was planned to be a sister hang-out day, but unfortunately my sis got slapped with a bug and is at home feeling like a hairball. Or something. So! I was left to entertain me and the wee spawn. D went to work a bit earlier than usual in the hopes to get home before 10pm, and E was all sleepy and out at 10.30 am. Huh. Sleeping kid, no poo in sight, means...Mama needs to get outta dodge!

In the hopes of finding some of Abbey Brown wonderful soaps, we went to the Green City Market off of Clark. Walked about 42 blocks from our parking spot to find...no soap? A lady at the info was kind enough to say in a snap: "THEY aren't invited back since THEY don't do food." well, surprise! It is 40% olive oil, I was tempted to retort. Didn't. I'm lame. We just meandered around, picked up some veg, and I got to change E under a tree on the grass. oooh a new texture for her, and she kept grabbing up handfuls. REALLY should get out more, note to self. E needs to roll around on the pre-hay, if I can find more poo, plastic, and hypodermic-free patches in the near future. She liked it and cooed over at the other babies on a nearby blanket, but they were too Lincoln-park baby for her and just stared. Eh, prolly jealous of her cuteness. nyah.

In the search for the soap, I realized I could go and continue on up Lincoln via coche to Be By Baby (have I mentioned them before?) since I noticed they sell it too. Found a free parking spot again (two today means my karma is up for a month) and stayed for a bit chatting with one of the owners, Courtney. She helped me with my sling, as I seem to keep forgetting how to make it comfy, even after all that hands-on with Auntie Bleen I still suck. She was wearing her 4 week old boy Noah in a Mei Tai. Purrr. (Me want. Still. But the sling is so cool, do we want/need another??? I don't care for our Bjorn enough, and this would work for us both).

So back to today's title, in an attempt for a theme. Courtney (above) and I were talking about many things from colicky to nursing habits to nanny/sitters. It was so nice to talk with another local mama with a similarly-aged baby. One of the things that rolled around was how isolating it can be as a new mom. Thus why she is back at work already, and why they created their store in the first place. Coming back to the whole concept of how mothering is not meant to be done by one woman in one home all by herself with spouse. Rather, the happiest times are with other mothers/women, chatting and sharing the cooking, cleaning, raising. The fact that yes, I go to school soon and yes, I hope to have a good friend watching Miss E, is a comfort. However, I feel so distraught half the time that a good percentage of my closest females are in other states.

I have bonded with women over the powers of the internet, and that is how I keep in touch with so many, but I need "my tribe" as Courtney put it. The women nearby to bond with and share. This is so reflective of a conversation I had with Bleen during her visit, and it hit a note in me. I hope to make it to an Attachment Parenting group next month, which will sadly be the only one I'll make it to. But she mentioned it's a good group, and a way that I can hope to connect with some women here.

I really hope it is so. I've kinda half-assed done this search before, going to one sole LLL meeting in Evanston, but my fear that I won't be able to make the connection is keeping me away. Silly. School isn't every minute, and I may still need to go ahead and go to an occasional meeting even in my spare spare time. Especially since my time is limited with E for a while, I should plan activities that involve her too. Let's see how this pans out.

In other news: E rolled over last night while fighting sleep! The attempt she made before is complete, and enjoyed by both her daddy and I. She went from back to front, I think. I was kinda tired...it could have been the other way. What's important is her increased mobility, right? Today she also connected with the Baby Einstein toy that she has, and both grabbed at it and laughed at it. So cute. Perfect for entertaining her Grams on their upcoming visits (Gram S. this weekend, Nana J. next Wednesday).

Cats, be wary. She's comin' for you!

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you may want to think about putting together a sort of play group where you can get together with other moms that are about your age. Ideally, with babies about E's age.

    I think you might be surprised by how many moms like the idea of getting together and talking. Even if the little ones aren't really old enough to play yet.

    Now I have to go look at fancy soap. I blame you for this. ;^)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember too, not all AP parents are full-time-at-home moms. MANY of them work, full or part time, or go to school as you'll be doing. So go make those connections, and you'll find moms who are in similar situations to yours. It is a wonderful thing to have a tribe, definitely put forth some energy to get one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. now if only you two lived in Chicago with me, not that sunny, funny place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to this post a lot, Kel. I have lots of "bloggie friends" as I call them, but very few people here, in my area, that I can relate to.

    Oh, I've tried support groups. But ... a big part of it is the whole cultural thing for me.

    It's funny. I didn't realize how much being Filipino played into being me ... as in my "self" ... until I hit this road block.

    Ugh. I think I feel a post about this coming on in my own blog.

    ReplyDelete