Friday, July 25, 2008

safety first

As I've ranted, I am to go back to school with teh kids in a few weeks. For the program, we have to have our immunization records, pre-req's done, registration complete, HepB vaccination, and CPR/BLS (basic life support). Oh, and roughly $30 grand...

Today was a step in checking off that list. With the help of my sister to watch Emelia after D went to work, I went to a 3 hour CPR/BLS training conveniently located down the street a couple miles. 9am is really early when you're not used to it anymore, a hilarious fact after working at 7am downtown for 4 years. I roused myself, fed the kid, showered quickly, changed the kid's pantaloons, made coffee (sweet sweet coffee), pumped, fed the kid again, kissed my snoring hubs, and went. Note to self: this will be on repeat soon, so get used to it.

Got there and it was pretty typical, long ugly brown tables, metal padded chairs, half-dummies, random people. What was shocking was the huge woman leading the thing, and I swear she could double for the Bears' linebacker. Definitely female, and definitely glad she's on my side. Anyway, I assume from what she said she's a paramedic and I could see her as a Fireman (person? woman?). She had berated a woman who brought her 10 year old, like we're discussing something sekkrit and pr0n-ish, and said "you wouldn't bring her to work, would you??" Well, lady, I took CPR the first time when I started babysitting at 11, so chill. I was glad to see her getting over herself an incorporating this whip-smart girl into the entire session. How much you wanna bet she ends up using this knowledge someday? Her illicit exposure to the workings of life safety being what saves lives. ha.

Getting around to a reason for sharing this, I was surprised how I was scared all of a sudden. The instructor plopped down this baby mannequin in front of me for the infant safety and all I could see was Emelia. I just quietly cried, and tried extra hard to pay attention.

And I thought: this should be taught for free to all new mothers, fathers, caregivers. Who knows what basic safety could do for those little ones in our lives?
When I came home, I just held her so close. So close.

2 comments:

  1. That training really should be a must for all new parents. I wonder why it isn't.

    I think your reaction makes perfect sense, honey. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though a good lifesaving course is a definite plus amazingly enough you can really do the necessary in a pinch. Comes with labor and delivery. ;) I saved my son in a restaurant when he was 8 months old...choking on a cracker.

    It gets better. It really does.

    ReplyDelete